Permanent cosmetics is not so much a science as it is an art and the body’s reaction in each and every person will be different. Essentially, the procedure used to implant the pigment creates a vulnerability in the skin which must be carefully treated and allowed to heal naturally.
Permanent makeup is a substantial investment and it is vital that the correct aftercare advice is rigorously followed in order to ensure the best possible healed results.
Special eyeliner advice:
- Splash twice with cold water and very gently dab dry with a clean soft towel or tissue.
- Immediately apply the healing balm supplied with a clean cotton bud.
- Repeat this process twice daily for 6 to 10 days.
- Do not rub, scratch, pick or disturb the area that has been worked on in any way. If it feels itchy – just tap the lid above or below – do not scratch.
- Avoid prolonged contact with water (shower, bath, swimming pool, sauna) for minimum 10 days.
- Take a bath instead of showering to avoid wetting the treated area for the first 7 to 10 days.
- Refrain from using any lotions, creams, cleansers or anything other than the balm supplied on the area.
- The pigments used are water-based – not oil-based. Many lotions, creams and cleansers are chemical-based. These chemicals could cause the freshly implanted pigment to raise to the surface and withdraw from the skin.
Should the area become uncomfortably dry – please apply a thin coating of the balm supplied (OR Bepanthen, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond OR organic Coconut oil).
Please replace your pillowcase and be sure to purchase a new mascara once your makeup application resumes. (old mascara typically contains many bacteria, fungal spores and even mites!)
DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE AS IT MAY PULL THE COLOUR FROM THE SKIN.
- Keep hands, sweat and dust off the area.
- After a couple of days the area will begin to enter the ‘peeling stage’.
- This is a natural part of the healing process.
- Eyebrows may tend to have a dandruff look.
- Peeling on eyeliners is very rarely noticed.
- Absolutely no sweating, gym or physical exertion.
- Avoid the sun and tanning beds until the area has fully healed. UV light fades and affects colours – so please no exposure for at least 4 weeks. If this is not possible, protect the pigmented area by wearing a hat and sunglasses and apply a Total Sun Block (recommend Environ).
Special precautions for lip procedures:
- Should you be prone to fever blisters or cold sores, please continue using your cold sore script medication until lips have healed.
- Brush teeth and rinse after meals in order to remove all traces of food, salt and acidity.
- Immediately apply a thin coating of the healing balm supplied (or Bepanthen, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond or Coconut oil) if necessary.
- As healing progresses, the lips may appear chapped.
- Be sure not to pick or pull any loose skin off the epithelial crust – it is VERY IMPORTANT that any flaking exfoliates of its own accord.
- By pulling or picking at the epithelial crust, you will be forcing it and will pull the colour from the skin, thus defeating the purpose of the procedure and it could cause scarring.
- After about a week to ten days, the light crust will have worn off and you may think there is no colour remaining.
- It takes up to six weeks for the colour to mature to the final healed colour.
- Immediately after the procedure, the colour is at its brightest as it is sitting on top of the skin. As the treatment heals the colour will soften i.e. becomes lighter and thins out as your body naturally expels the excess pigment.
- Your final result is a combination of the colour implanted plus the colour of your natural skin tone.
- As the skin heals a waterproof barrier is created which will protect the remaining pigment.
Special precautions for Eyebrow procedures:
- NO water, cleansers, creams, makeup or any other products on treated area for at least 12 days.
- In the rare instance that the area has been weeping clear fluid – 6 hours after the procedure, very gently clean the area by dabbing with sterile water on a cotton pad, gauze or cotton bud. Allow to air dry.
- DO NOT rub, pick or scratch the treated area. Let any crusting or dry skin exfoliate naturally. Picking may cause scarring.
- Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning for 6 weeks after procedure.
- Avoid heavy sweating (i.e. gym workouts) for the first 2 weeks.
- NO facials, botox, chemical treatments and/or microdermabrasion for 6 weeks.
- Avoid sleeping on your face for the first 10 days.
- Should the brow area skin feel tight – you may apply a thin coating of the healing balm supplied (OR Bepanthen, Grapeseed, Jojoba, Sweet Almond or Coconut oil) only after 7 days – and only if necessary. Dry healing provides the best result.
– Eyebrows will initially appear darker and bolder due to natural crusting for the first 10 to 12 days. This is very common for all permanent cosmetic procedures.
– The eyebrows may appear to have ‘nothing left’ once the crust has exfoliated – please be patient. The macrophage process pulls the pigment into the deeper tissues while it tries to expel the ‘foreign substance’ – this is perfectly normal and the pigment will usually ‘bloom back’ to the surface of the skin within 21 days.
It is very important to make a follow-up appointment for 6 weeks after the initial procedure in order to refine the new permanent eyebrows. This will ensure a beautiful and pleasing result is achieved and will increase longevity of the new brows.
I DO NOT CHECK TO ESTABLISH WHETHER THE PERMANENT MAKEUP REQUIRES A REFINEMENT PROCEDURE UNTIL AFTER 6 WEEKS.
Please make an appointment for a 10 minute assessment check-up 6 weeks after the initial procedure. This 10 minute assessment consultation is free of charge.
Should you feel that you require a refinement touch up, or if you are not sure, please call to make an appointment so that we may assess the viability of a touch-up. This can only be done six weeks after the initial procedure.
All refinement touch-up work will be done at 50% of the initial cost, provided the touch-up is completed within three months of initial procedure performed by me.
Should you experience any concerns – please contact us FIRST and we will advise the best treatment option for you.
Thank you for choosing
Permanent Makeup by Gwendoline
for your permanent cosmetic procedure.
Remember – we are only a phone call away!
(011) 704-3086 or 083 325 2247